- Coffee Table: Your coffee table should be 2 to 4 inches below the height of your sofa seat and just about 18 inches of space should be left between the sofa and the table.
- Bedside Table: Each nightstand should be the same height as the bed or a little taller.
- Rug sizes: When measuring for a rug, the key elements to consider are furniture legs and where they will sit. The legs of each seating element (i.e. sofa, chair) should be either fully on the rug or at least placed with the front legs on the rug. The same goes for the dining room pieces. You want the entire dining set on the rug while also allowing for a couple feet on each end of the rug after the furniture is placed. This way no one will have half on/half off unstable chairs at the dinner table!
- Paint: Eggshell is always the best finish for walls (a bold statement, but we’re standing by it). It’s matte with a little sheen and reflects light well. BUT, it’s hard to clean. So, in bathrooms use satin. Satin wipes clean and reflects light well. (Maybe use in the kids’ rooms as well—make your life a little easier with the cleaning thing). We also prefer flat paint on ceilings. Cabinets are always done in a semi-gloss—durable and easy to clean.
- Hanging Art: The center of the piece should be around 58" from the ground.
Curtains: Hang curtains closer to the ceiling than the to the top of the window. This will draw the eye up and makes the ceiling seem taller.
Mantle: When hanging things above the mantle, as a general rule of thumb leave seven inches between the mantle and the bottom of what you are hanging.
- If you really need help, hire a professional! We offer E-Design packages and in person designer services to those in the DMV area! Click the link below to read more.