We haven't had the privilege of meeting Sandra Wright in person (yet!); however, after our first phone call a few weeks ago, it was obvious that she’s one of those special people who has a warmth that crosses all boundaries—you feel like you know her even if you’ve never actually met, or in our case, live a few 1,000 miles apart.
Her art – rich with colors and complex texture - is mesmerizing. That part we knew. What we didn’t know is that her story is just as moving. A few years ago, one of Sandra's three beautiful daughters passed away, and as she recalls, “I remember praying for God to give me something to help me get through each day. And through my art, He really did. I feel like it just started pouring out.” Her story speaks to the truth and courage that can come out of times of loss and vulnerability.
Painting for Sandra is personal. “Sometimes I feel like my paintings are my little babies—I love knowing where they are going and that they are loved.” And when asked what is her dream job, she says without hesitation, “I feel like I’m living it!”
We could not be more excited to introduce you to the phenomenally talented Sandra Wright!
Q and A with Sandra:
Where are you from?
How do you describe your style of painting?
What are your biggest inspirations for your art?
Fill in the blank/ Art is _______.
Art is an expression of my happy place.
Where does your passion for art come from?
Advice to other aspiring artists/creative students?
Just go for it! In art, there are no precise ways of doing something, so just be true to yourself and your passion. The paintings that I love the most are usually the ones that sell the fastest.
To simplify this process, here are a few of our tips for deciding where to register and how to put together a well rounded registry that guests feel inspired to shop from!
- Don't just register at big department stores: Maybe we're a little biased, but we always think it's a good idea to register with at least one smaller boutique shop that offers specialty gifts and home accents that you just can't find at big department stores. This might be a sweet gift shop in your hometown or it could be an online retailer...like Mintwood Home! Just a subtle hint, right?
- Pick a few different price points: This gives your wedding guests a chance to browse through and choose gifts that match their budget. Small vases, coasters and other bar accessories are great items to think about with lower price points!
- Design your Own Pillows: People love giving gifts that are customized, unique and special to you. Design your own pillows with us and add them to your registry. Someone is going to be thrilled to have the chance to give you something they know you're going to love and USE!
- Think about pieces that will transition from space to space: This one is huge. Think mirrors, lamps, art, side tables, bar carts--these are some of our favorite suggestions when people ask us how to make a space feel like a home. They are transitional pieces that you use from home to home. They can also make fun gifts for your friends to go in on together.
- Bedding: This is one that is often overlooked or forgotten about, but oh so important. Our coverlets and duvets are great basic building blocks for your marriage bed.
- Register for pieces that you love: At the end of the day, your friends and family are so excited for you to be getting married and want to get you the things that you love.